About Susan McKendry
Welcome to my website and I hope the information provided on this site will answer any questions you may have about my professional role and about the services I offer. I obtained my Bachelor of Social Work Degree from Laurentian University in 1992 and my Masters of Social Work Degree from the University of Toronto in 1993. I have been a Social Worker in Simcoe County for over twenty years working primarily with children, youth, adults and families. I have been in private practice since 2000 and have been providing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for the past six years. I am a Certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapist with the National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists. I am a professional member with the Academy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapists (ACT) and the Canadian Association of Cognitive Behavioural Therapists (CACBT). My professional CBT training log can be found on the resource page of this site along with some valuable community resources and a CBT reading/resource list .
Throughout my career I have worked in a variety of different roles including;
- Children's and adult mental health facilities (i.e. Penetang Mental Health Centre (Waypoint), Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Kinark Child & Family Services, North Simcoe Catholic Family Services)
- Hospitals (Royal Victoria Hospital, Sudbury General Hospital)
- Youth residential (Venture Academy)
- Schools (Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board)
- Court (providing parent capacity or in home observations for custody and access disputes, supporting youth in trouble with the law)
- Workplaces (EAP, return to work, substance abuse assessments, disability management, work place conflict)
While in these positions, I have provided strength based counselling to youth, parents and families with the intention of promoting a higher degree of mental health and emotional well being.
I come from a solution focused, strength based, holistic and cognitive approach with the intention of identifying assets as opposed to focusing solely on deficits. My primary area of focus is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I am thrilled to be able to serve my clients in my quiet East End Home Office.
I am a member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers (#7210), as well as, a Registered Social Worker with the College of Social Workers (#803190). I am presently working on my certification with the Academy of Cognitive Therapists (ACT) and the Canadian Association of Cognitive Behavioural Therapists and my intention is to be complete by the end of 2016.