About Susan McKendry
Susan obtained her Bachelor of Social Work Degree from Laurentian University in 1992 and her Masters of Social Work Degree from the University of Toronto in 1993. She has been a Social Worker in Simcoe County for twenty years working primarily with children, youth, adults and families. Susan has been in private practice since 2000. Susan is a Certified Cognitive Behavioral Therapist with the National Association of Cognitive Behavioral Therapists. Has completed a number of certifications with NACBT including anxiety, depression, substance abuse, anger management etc.. Presently completing "Rational Hypnotherapy" training and certification. Throughout her career she has worked in a variety of different roles including;
- Children's and adult mental health facilities (i.e. Penetang Mental Health Centre (Waypoint), Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Kinark Child & Family Services, North Simcoe Catholic Family Services)
- Hospitals (Royal Victoria Hospital, Sudbury General Hospital)
- Youth residential (Venture Academy)
- Schools (Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board)
- Court (providing parent capacity or in home observations for custody and access disputes, supporting youth in trouble with the law)
- Workplaces (return to work, substance abuse assessments, disability management, work place conflict)
While in these positions, Susan has provided strength based counselling to youth, parents and families with the intention of promoting a higher degree of mental health and emotional well being.
Susan comes from a solution focused, strength based, holistic and cognitive approach with the intention of identifying assets as opposed to focusing solely on deficits. Her area of focus is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in her work with anxious children, adolescents and adults.
She serves several Employee Assistant Programs and was formally in private practice under the practice name of Susan Gravelle - Families Matter. Susan is a member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers (#7210), as well as, a Registered Social Worker with the College of Social Workers (#803190).